Federal Skilled Worker Program
Skilled workers are selected as permanent residents based on their education, work experience, knowledge of English and/or French, and other criteria that have been shown to help them become economically established in Canada.
Skilled workers must:
- Have at least one year of continuous full-time paid work experience or the equivalent in part-time continuous employment;
- Work experience must be Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or Skill Level A (professional occupations) or B (technical occupations and skilled trades) on the Canadian National Occupational Classification list;
- Must have had this experience within the last 10 years;
- Obtain a minimum of 67 points out of 100 in the six selection factors of education, English/French language abilities, experience, age, employment in Canada, and adaptability; and
- Have at least one of the three following:
Have an offer of arranged employment; or
Be a foreign national who has been living legally in Canada for one year as a temporary foreign worker or an international student; or
Be a skilled worker who has at least one year of experience in one or more of the designated occupations.